What Happens When You’re Exposed To Black Mould?
You’re looking at your home which you have saved up and worked hard for years. You can’t help but admire every nook and cranny, how you built it from scratch, and then you noticed something. There are black spots on one corner threatening to spread.
Black mould, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is a kind of fungus that feeds on organic household objects like walls, windows, carpets, furniture, and even clothes that have been exposed to moisture. These spores can easily and quickly spread especially if left untreated. Other than the fact that it looks aesthetically revolting, it can make a place uninhabitable and pose serious health risks, too. If ingested or inhaled, it can trigger allergies, asthma, eye irritation, headaches, and in a worst-case scenario, shortness of breath and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
For the sake of you and your family, you want your place to be as clean and safe as possible. When you see signs of mould forming, act immediately and don’t wait for it to spread to other areas of your house. As black mould removal experts and extreme cleaners who have worked in this industry for over 15 years, we’ve gathered some of the harmful effects of being exposed to black mould and why you should hire a professional black mould removal expert immediately.
Harmful Effects of Black Mould
Black mould exposure can pose serious health risks, especially to people with allergies and weakened immune systems. As soon as you suspect mould infestation in your home, you must immediately contact a black mould removal expert. Black mould can grow in any part of your house and leaving it will make it grow and spread in other areas. Moulds thrive in certain conditions like:
- Damp Rooms with 70% Humidity
- Flooded spaces/rooms
- Areas with less ventilation
- 40 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit temperature
Allergy and irritation
If someone in your household has allergies, mould could worsen their condition. Some symptoms they may experience include:
- Nasal stuffiness
- Sore throat
- Skin irritation
- Watery, red eyes
Mycotoxicosis or Mould Poisoning
One of the harmful effects of ingesting or being in contact with black mould is getting mycotoxicosis or mould poisoning. It’s an acute and chronic toxic disease caused by mycotoxins. Check out for these symptoms:
- Memory Loss
- Muscular pain
- Joint pain
Black mould exposure may also trigger your asthma if you have one. If you have the following symptoms, you must immediately seek professional medical help:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- Persistent Coughing/Wheezing
How to Prevent Black Mould
It’s highly recommended to get a mould remediation expert like Martijn van Lith if you suspect mould infestation in your home. It is not advised to remove black mould yourself. But there are ways to prevent mould from infesting your home. Here’s how to prevent black mould:
- Use an air conditioner or dehumidifier to keep humidity level below 50%
- Repair any water leakage as soon as you spot one
- Ensure that every area or space in your house is well-ventilated, clean, and dry.
- Clean surfaces regularly
- Ultraviolet light/sunlight
For your Extreme Clean needs, call Martijn van Lith at +0409 987 319. We are available 24/7.
Martijn van Lith is a preferred supplier of Forensic and Extreme Clean services and has worked with over 5000 clients (including NGOs and government organisations) across the South East Queensland regions in Australia. We offer a wide range of services including Hoarding Help / Squalor Cleanup, Crime Scene Clean, Death/Suicide Cleanup, Covid-19 Cleans, Mould Remediation, Water Damage Restoration, Fire Damage Restoration, Prison Cell Cleanup & Decontamination, and more.